HEALTHY DESSERTS – TOP 4 HEALTHY RECIPES FOR DESSERTS
Make Them, Eat Them, Love Them
These two words put together are an agonizing oxymoron because we so badly want them to get along. Do they? Could they? Would they? The ultimate secret to a happy relationship of opposites is three things – compromise, compromise, and compromise! We have listed down 4 of our most favoured healthy dessert recipes that guilt-free yet a delight to the tastebuds!
To understand how to make your desserts healthy, one must first understand what is unhealthy about desserts in the first place. The three key elements in most desserts that need serious substitution are – Sugar, simple carbohydrates (refined flour), and bad fats. The good news is there are plenty of healthier alternative ingredients to substitute with that can help in the preparation of healthy desserts. However, desserts being the ultimate comfort food, these substitutes more often than not do take away that familiar flavour and softness classic desserts have that make them so comfort-worthy. Having said that we are all in the process of evolving our palates towards a better cleaner and hopefully more sustainable journey. So learning to enjoy desserts with new textures and flavours is an equally important part of the process.
Now that I have managed the great expectations of healthy desserts behold, let’s get cooking!
Here are some Healthier Substitutes that will come handy on your quest to prepare healthy desserts:
Dates or Date syrup
Other dried fruit like raisins, apricots, etc
Real maple syrup from Canada
Brown rice syrup
Natural fruit concentrate
Coconut palm sugar
SIMPLE CARBOHYDRATES – refined flours
Almond and flour
Coconut and coconut flour
Oats and oat flour
BAD FATS – hydrogenated fats like vegetable oils
Other neutral flavoured cold pressed oils
Healthy Dessert Recipes
1. LOW CALORIE COCONUT CHIA PUDDING
Cooking time- 30 mins
Yield- 2 potions
3 tablespoons chia seeds
120 ml coconut milk
1.5 to 2.5 tablespoons jaggery powder (adjust to taste)
1 cup seasonal fruit of your choice – chopped
1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
• Simmer the coconut milk and jaggery till the jaggery is nicely dissolved.
• Once cooled, add the chia seeds and let them sit for 30 minutes or until the chia seeds have expanded. Keep chilled in the refrigerator.
• In a glass add a layer of fruit. Add the chia pudding mixture on top.
• Garnish with desiccated coconut.
2. HEALTHY & TASTY BANANA ICE CREAM
Cooking time- 20 mins
Yield- 2 portions
1 large banana, peeled, chopped, and frozen
1 cup frozen berries
1 to 2 teaspoons honey (adjust to taste)
Pinch of pink salt
• Mix all the ingredients in a good blender and blend till extremely smooth.
• Serve chilled.
• This healthy recipe is packed with easy to make, easy to clean, and easy to eat!
3. GLUTEN FREE AVOCADO CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
Cooking time- 3.5 hours
1 cup ripe avocado, chopped
1/4 cup almond milk
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
10 soft dried dates, deseeded and chopped
½ teaspoon natural vanilla extract or paste
• Blend all the ingredients till smooth.
• Make sure consistency is thick and creamy.
• Add to ramekins and set in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours.
• You’re guests are going to love this healthy dessert idea!
4. HEALTHY MILLET APPLE CRUMBLE
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
1/3 cup Kodo millet or finger millet flour (Ragi)
½ cup coconut palm sugar
1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
¼ cup coconut oil OR Ghee
6 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
½ cup Coconut palm sugar
1 lime, juiced
3 tablespoons finger millet flour
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon powder
• Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and oil a round pie dish with coconut oil.
• Gently mix all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl and arrange inside the pie dish.
• In a separate bowl, mix all the ingredients for the crumble with the tips of your fingers to form a sandy texture. Sprinkle the crumble on top of the apple mixture. Do not press it down.
• Place the dish in the preheated oven for 45 mins.
• Let the pie cool completely before serving.
• Your tasty and healthy dessert is now ready to be served!